Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Dat Ass

Seriously though, dat ass...
As I posted recently I ordered +Venger Satanis's The Islands of Purple-Haunted Putrescence. My physical copy arrived yesterday. While I'm not ready to do a true review, I can tell you that I am digging what I've read so far. The book starts with new rules and ends with a gonzo hexcrawl. From the bits I've read I love the dark secret and the uniqueness counts options. The monk class looks interesting too. I can also see why some people are offended by the content (women are a form of currency on the island). However, in context to the setting, I get it. I can't wait to dig deeper into the hexcrawl itself. I got a good chuckle out of the ICP and drunken redneck encounters I saw while I was skimming.

This book is definitely not my normal style. My games tend to be of the typical Forgotten Realms/Greyhawk/Golarion flair.While I've played Planescape, Ravenloft, Eberron, and Dark Sun, standard Dungeons and Dragons fantasy is how most of my games go. That being said I'd love to introduce some of Venger's Heavy Metal/Conan craziness into my games.

While I've not finished Islands yet, I've already decided that I want to buy Revelry in Torth and Liberation of the Demon Slayer.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you "got it". My work doesn't resonate with everyone, obviously. Thanks for mentioning my books. Now, I want to see a session report or two! ;)

    ReplyDelete