Monday, July 10, 2017

Adventure Writing Like A Fucking Boss

You've got to give it to +Venger Satanis, he definitely knows how to get your attention with his advice books. His newest is Adventure Writing Like A Fucking Boss. I was given a pdf copy and I'd like to share my thoughts.

First I'll talk about the physical aspects of the pdf. It is 13 pages (10 that give advice). The cover has a bad ass dragon. There are three pieces of art in the book, which give a you a good sample of the art style in Venger's books. The text is in a standard two column layout with the occasional sidebar. As a final note, there are several random tables, because let's be honest, this wouldn't be a Kort'thalis Publishing product without them.

But I know you're asking, what about the content? It's very practical. To sum up and paraphrase the book, if you want to write adventures like a fucking boss you have to think of yourself as a movie writer and director with an unlimited budget. Obviously there's more to it than that and Venger gives us plenty of exposition and insight into the deeper workings of the process, but ultimately that comparison is very fitting. While the pdf isn't long there is no wasted text. Every example and tip Venger gives is insightful.

I don't write adventures. I honestly don't think I've ran D&D without a module in years. Venger's advice makes me want to change that. I want to take a stab at writing an adventure (perhaps Rumspringa in Space for Alpha Blue). To me that is a sign that the book does what it sets out to do.

As a final aside, I picked up Play Your Character Like a Fucking Boss last week and I also have How to Game Master Like A Fucking Boss. I'll share my thoughts on those soon.


6 comments:

  1. I'm sorely tempted by all these delightfully monikered tomes, but as I'm not really in a "fantasy/D&D" place right now is the material generic enough that I'd get some use out of them or are they all geared towards tunnel grubbing/murderhobo adventures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely have use beyond the classic fantasy/murder hobo stuff. Venger creates material for multiple genres and his how to stuff shows that.

      Delete
    2. Excellent. Thanks. They'll be going on my shopping list then!

      Delete
  2. These fundamentals are universal with many fantasy and scifi examples to illustrate concepts.

    ReplyDelete