Sunday, April 1, 2018

A is for A Fistful of Dollars (1964)

Hello, for those of you reading my blog for the first time, my name is Justin (though a lot of folks call me Pun). I'm a librarian and lifelong gamer. For the challenge this year I'm going to be focusing on material for my pay what you want tabletop rpg, Six-Shooters & Wagons.

------------

Synopsis: A mysterious and deadly wanderer rides into a town torn by a war between to factions; the Rojo's and the Baxters. He schemes to play the sides against each other and get rich in the process.

The Good: There are few westerns as iconic as this. Seriously, when many folks think of western protagonists they picture Eastwood's "Man with No Name." Leone's visual style is iconic. Ennio Morricone's score is amazing. It's just as integral to the story as the actors or visuals. 

The Bad: I really don't have anything bad to say about this one. It's a spaghetti western classic. Hell it's THE classic spaghetti western.

The Ugly: While there are definite differences the movie is obviously an Italian western remake of Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo (which came out a few years earlier). Then again, it's not the only western to do this. Django  also steals the plot of Yojimbo, as does the Prohibition era Bruce Willis flick, Last Man Standing.

In Your Game:


"Man with No Name"
Level 7 Gunslinger


Str 14            Int 12
Dex 17 (+1)  Wis 12
Con 15 (+1)  Cha 13

4 HD (16 HP) Save: 9 Movement: 12
AC 8 [11]
Attacks: X2 Pistol (first shot - +8 to hit, 1d6 dmg, 60' range, second shot - +3 to hit, 1d6 dmg, 60' range)
Other: Quickdraw, Backup (shotgun, rifle)
Equipment: 2 pistols, poncho, canteen

2 comments:

  1. Should be a fun month! Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it. I've got several posts done already. Fleshing out some optional rules I've thought about and just having fun statting things.

      Delete