Friday, October 7, 2022

October Horror Movie Challenge - Terrifier 2 (2022)


Plot
A mysterious force resurrects the Miles County Killer aka Art the Clown for sinister reasons, which bring him into conflict with high schooler Siena and her little brother Jonathon. What connection do the siblings have to Art? Will they survive Halloween night?

Review
This film has a limited release this weekend and I was fortunate enough to watch it last night with one of my best friends and fellow horror fanatic, Chelsea. Like the first film, Terrifier 2 is gory, gross, gratuitous, and mean. The sequel really takes this to new heights (or lows based on your opinion). Everything is excessive, including the run time. The first film was a tight 90 or so minutes with credits. The sequel adds an hour to that. While I think you could have cut one of the protagonists friend's and scenes related to her from the film and the story would have flowed just as well, I wasn't bored at any point in the movie (and the friend's demise is one of the nastiest and coolest looking in the film).

The cast is spectacular. David Howard Thornton returns as Art and is even more menacing in this one. He is also disturbingly funny. I found myself belly laughing at some of his reactions and scenes. He does so much with zero dialogue. Protagonist Siena is played by Lauren LaVera and she's one of my new favorite final girls. She's artist and cosplays. She's cute, thoughtful, and badass. Her portrayal seems very genuine and she seems like she cares about her little brother, played by Elliot Fullam. Speaking of which, he does a great job as the seemingly troubled Jonathan. Young actress Georgia MacPhail  is another new breakout star in this one. Her character is never named in the film, but trust me, you won't forget her once you see her. Samantha Scaffidi returns as Victoria. I won't go into much of her scenes in the movie, but lets say I didn't expect them. Sleepaway Camp's Felicia Rose has a small role as Jonathan's principle. Finally, wrestler Chris Jericho is in a mid credits scene. 

Writer/director/editor Damien Leone crafted a fantastic piece of film. The pacing is good and I don't know that I've ever watch a movie that had me amused/laughing and unnerved  throughout the entire picture. The prosthetics, animatronics, and practical effects he and his team created are unmatched.  Again, excess is the norm in this, but it's so well crafted. Also the music is *chef's kiss* and while the film is set in in 2017-2018, it makes it feel like an 80's slasher in all the right ways.

The story/plot raises many questions. There's a lot of things that happen and seem to be connected, but aren't really explained. This doesn't bother me, because I know Damien will make another that expands the lore, the questions prompted a great discussion on the ride home with Chelsea, and finally sometimes I can just enjoy something without know all of the inns and outs. 

If you can't tell, I thoroughly loved this flick. If you are a fan of the first, you should definitely check it out. That being said, this definitely isn't for everyone and that's okay. If you don't want something super brutal and blood that will make you whisper "oh fuck no" at the screen, then this one probably isn't for you.

In Your Game
I've shared stats for Art a few times, You can find them below:
New Movies: 9
Others Horror Movies Watched Since Last Post: 
Challenge Total: 18


No comments:

Post a Comment