Tuesday, April 9, 2013

H is for Hunter the Vigil

In many ways Hunter: The Vigil is the most accessible of the World of Darkness games.Why you ask? Well, because in the game you play a mortal dedicated to holding back the darkness, as opposed to a Machiavellian vampire or savage werewolf. It's a really fun game, but I have my issues with it.

Something I haven't mentioned up to this point (that I wish I had) is that to run any of the World of Darkness games you need the World of Darkness core rulebook in addition to the other game book. It has the core (apply to everyone including mortals) rules and the individual game books have the creature specific background and new rules. The issue with Hunter is that rules wise, it doesn't really give you a lot of new stuff. I played a session of it with one of the main writers at Origins before it came out and he said, honestly there's only about two chapters of the Hunter book you need to play a Hunter game. Otherwise all of the info is in the core rulebook. Don't get me wrong it's a good game and if you have the extra cash or are new to rpg's  and want to play a Supernatural/X-Files style game then you should I definitely recommend picking it up.

I don't have this book yet. I want it it and will eventually pick it up, but for the reasons I've listed it is lower on my priority list.


No comments:

Post a Comment