Sunday, October 12, 2014

October Horror Movie Challenge - Mimic (1997)

Synopsis: Three years ago, entomologist Dr. Susan Tyler genetically created an insect to kill cockroaches carrying a virulent disease. Now these insects, the Judas Breed, are out to destroy their only predator, mankind.

The Good: This is a Guillermo del Toro flick and for the most part it feels like one. You can see his obsession with insects, monsters, and dark places. There are some great brooding shots of very dirty looking chaotic spaces, which tend to be one of his trademarks. I also like his tendency to use the same actors. Doug Jones plays one of the "Long Johns" and Norman Reedus is in a scene (and I love that scene). Also, something that impressed me about this movie is that it was afraid to kill kids. Not that I like kids dying, but many horror movies shy away from that. There are only a few people that get killed on screen in this movie and two of them are children.

The Bad: This is probably my least favorite del Toro flick. The atmosphere and sets are great. I like the plot and the monster design. However, most of the main characters are just rather meh. I did like Manny and his "special" son Chuy. I also loved Jeremy (who was only in one scene).

Final Thoughts: This isn't a bad movie. It's not a great movie either. I mainly watched it because I found out it was a del Toro movie. 

In Your Game: I thought I'd stat out the "Long Johns" for cinematic unisystem.

Name: Long Johns
Motivation: Hunt, Kill, Imitate Humanity
Critter Type:  Insect
Attributes: Str 6, Dex 5, Con 5, Int 1, Per 3, Will 1
Ability Scores: Muscle 18, Combat 15 , Brains 11

Life Points: 80  Drama Points: 3
Special Abilities:  Armor Value 5, Claws, Flight, Increased Life Points

                                     Maneuvers
Name                              Score     Damage               Notes
Ariel Maneuver                17           -             Defense action while airborne
Claws                               15           12          Slash/Stab
Dodge                              15            -            Defense action 
Grapple                            17           -            Resisted by dodge

New To Me Movies Watched: 10
Total Movies Watched: 15


No comments:

Post a Comment