Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My Dragon Ball RPG Experience

Like many geeks my age I grew up watching Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. We like to pretend GT and the live action movie don't exist and technically they aren't cannon. They were very flawed shows. I have no delusions to the contrary but still they're a big part of my adolescent years. I watched all of the cartoons, played the video games and card game (which I still have all my cards and get them out occasionally). My high school D&D group even had a home brew DBZ table top that we played for years. It used a heavily modified version of the old White Wolf storyteller system. We still fondly talk about the tales of Dessallin, Dracos, Kuro, and Hartcourt.

Well now we're all nearing thirty and have our own lives but we still like to get together and game sometimes.  I've decided that I'm going to run a Dragon Ball game this weekend for them.

So what system? I've got 2 of the 3 books for the official Dragon Ball Z: The Anime Adventure Game. It's the Fuzion system and while I love owning the books, it just doesn't seem like a good system. I also have Big Eyes, Small Mouth 2nd edition, but again I'm not really sure it would work the way I want it to. This leads me to my fallback system, Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition.

I think M&M could be used to translate the shows power levels (liking the synergy already). As a test run this weekend I'm going to try to emulate the original Dragon Ball series using PL6. This will allow the guys to make competent fighters with a few techniques.

I'll let you guys know how it goes this weekend. Also, I know I didn't have a Mastermind Monday post this week. Honestly I just have been feeling that well, so I didn't do one. I'll make up for it next week.
Krillin, still my favorite character

No comments:

Post a Comment