Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Barbarians of Lemuria: The Scorpion King


Earlier today, Tim Brannan, over at The Other Side blog posted a review of Barbarians of Lemuria: Legendary Edition. I think everyone should take a look. I thought it sounded so cool that I had to pick up the pdf myself. Actually I bough the Dogs of Lemuria Bundle. Basically for an extra 2.50 I also got a copy of Dogs of W*A*R, which uses the same system but emulates soldier/war movies of the 70's and 80's (and would be great for an Expendables/GI Joe sort of game).

New system... what's the first thing I do, stat out a character I love. Okay, confession time. Despite the fact it's scripted I liked wrestling throughout middle school and into high school. I always loved Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. I remember being excited for the Scorpion King, watching it in theaters, and not being disappointed. It's still one of my favorite Swords and Sorcery flicks. That little confession is just to explain why I picked the title character, Mathayus as my first attempt to stat out a character. I've also included the monstrous version from The Mummy Returns.
 
Mathayus of Akkadia
Attributes 
Combat 
 Strength        
 3
Brawl            
  0
 Agility
 1
Melee
  2
 Mind
 0
Ranged
  2
 Appeal
 0       
Defense
  0

Careers
Mercenary
  2 
 Lifeblood
  15
Assassin
  1
 Hero Points
   5
Hunter
  1
Noble
  0

Protection: d6-2 (light armour)
Weapons: Sword d6+4, Akkadian (Great) Bow d6+3 (Str 4 or special training to draw string)

Languages
Spoken: Akkadian, Greek, Egyptian
Written: Akkadian, Greek, Egyptian

Boons: Hard to Kill, Poison Immunity

Flaws: Last of the Akkadians (Unique): Mathayus is the last of his people, who were known to be relentless warriors and assassins. This is a burden that weighs heavily on him. 



The Scorpion King
Though it's never quite explained what caused Mathayus to become a conqueror according to The Mummy Returns he became just that. Selling his soul, to Anubis, he truly became the Scorpion King. (Edit, I just read the synopsis for The Scorpion King 3 and it explains it. However, I like to pretend that  the first Scorpion King was the last of the films)

Attributes
 Strength        
 12
 Agility
 4
  
 Mind
 0
  
Combat Abilities
Attack with Stinger +2, 2d6+2  (+ special, character gains flaw to all rolls until given antidote)
Attack with 2 Claws +2, 2d6+2
(Attacks with both of the above +0)
Defence: 2
Protection: d6-2 (tough hide)
Lifeblood: 30

No comments:

Post a Comment