Wednesday, April 3, 2013

C is for Changeling: The Lost

Changeling: The Lost is a game that I've posted material about before.

The premise of the game is that your character was a normal per
son, kidnapped for some reason by the otherworldly and inhuman fae (known as Keepers). While in the faerie world your body was changed to suit the needs/desires of your captor. You could have been made a soldier, a beastly hound, or even a doll to be admired and locked away. However, this wasn't the life you desired and you fought your way back through the Hedge (border between worlds, which appears to be a hedge of thorns) to the world.

Unfortunately once you returned, you found that you no longer belonged. The time in the fae world changes a person. In addition, one can't simply return to his or her former life. When a person is taken the Keeper replaces them with a construct double, known as a fetch. To protect themselves and find purpose, the Lost (as the changelings are called) band together in Courts (tied to Seasons and emotions).

Changeling is a fun game. Of the World of Darkness games, I think it is my favorite. It's a faerie tale game true to its origins. Faeries are big, bad, scary monsters. They are fearsome and unearthly. The work of Neil Gaiman is very Changeling-esque, especially Neverwhere, Coraline, and MirrorMask.

If you would like to try Changeling for yourself, you can download a demo here.

6 comments:

  1. I've never been a gamer, but these fantasy adventure games sound like so much fun. Unfortunately I don't have enough time for everything else in life, and my obsessions belong to other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never played Changeling, but I loved the idea of it.

    Looking forward to what you do all month!

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side and The Witch
    Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am passing this info on to my son. He recently got hooked on Skyrim, but his ps3 just died... :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't play games but I love the writing of Neil Gaiman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd never heard of this game but it sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    Grover
    Inane Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Justin! I haven't heard of this game. It looks cool. My favorite fairy tale computer game was The Legend of Kyrandia and The Kings Quest series. Loved those!

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete