Saturday, February 22, 2014

D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop - Day 22

First D&D-based novel you ever read.



I associate the Dragonlance books with my early D&D experiences. I started with the original War of the Lance trilogy, but I gobbled up every DL book I could find. When I think about it, my view of D&D is still colored by them. For example I think Paladine and Tahkisis, rather than Bahumat and Tiamat. I prefer my minotaurs as the pseudo Roman gladiator society, rather the cursed beasts of the Monster Manuals. My gnomes also tend to be more tinker gnomes, than fey wild denizens.

I was extremely happy to kender in the Next playtest documents. I'm not positive I will include them in my 5E games, but it's a possibility.

Also, I love the draconians and gully dwarves. One of my favorite 3.5 characters was a gully dwarf chef (though he used the term "cooker") named Nup. He was a barbarian that rescued an injured Solamnic knight who made the comment that his food wasn't have bad. Nup decided he wanted to be the greatest cooker and that if his food wasn't have bad, that meant maybe it was half good. He used a barrel as armor and his cooking pot as his helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment