Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Tarnished Jewel

"Punjar...

Throughout the Known World, no city is half so notorious. Blackened by fire, soiled by pestilence, and scarred by war, its sandy collection of spiderwebbed tenements and rat-ridden bazaars have birthed some of the worst rogues and villains to ever stalk the storied thrones of the north.
But Punjar is also a city of chance and adventure, where fortunes are won in a night and lost before dawn. Where gems glint and flare in the lamplight, the might of magic knows no bounds, and a warrior's quick blade and shirt of mail are his best defense.

So loosen your sword, keep a hand on your coin pouch, and take these first steps into its shadowy, torch-lit streets. A black mist is rolling in off the salt marsh, and the ancient city beckons...

Welcome to Punjar, The Tarnished Jewel!"

Punjar is a city that I've been in love with since the early days of 4E. I snagged a copy of Punjar: The Tarnished Jewel on Free RPGDay 2008. It's just a dirty city with a lot of character, much like a Freeport (one of my other loves), just without the piracy (but with the evil of slavery which is something forbidden in Freeport).

I've picked up all of the Punjar adventure path (pictured above). I also have a few Dungeon Crawl Classics adventures that feature the city, notably Jewels of Carnifax, Mists of Madness, and The Jeweler That Dealt in Stardust. According to the blurb on their latest DCC Kickstarter, Harley Stroh is doing a Punjar city setting.

While I am planning on running Tyranny of Dragons for my first 5E game, I think Punjar is a setting I'd really like to use for my second. I will probably start converting the Punjar adventures I have (monster, magic items, and traps) to 5E and posting them here.



3 comments:

  1. I may need to pick up the Punjar stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the adventures, I just never got around to running a regular 4E game. However, I think I have a great opportunity to use the 4E and DCC adventures and flex conversion/creative muscles.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing what you work up!

    ReplyDelete