Friday, October 3, 2014

October Horror Movie Challenge - Drag Me To Hell (2009)


Synopsis: A loan officer who evicts an old woman from her home finds herself the recipient of the a supernatural curse. Desperate, she turns to a seer to try and save her soul, while evil forces work to puch her to a breaking point.

The Good: This flick is a solid B horror movie that has a quirky sense of humor. It's light on gore, but heavy on gross, which was a nice change. Alison Lohman does a great job the cursed lead and Justin Long is great as the skeptical but supportive boyfriend. Also, the seance scene is one of the best I've seen in a long time. I love the goat.

The Bad: Gypsy curses are a bit overdone right? I mean cultural insensitivity aside, it's just something that I've seen many times before. Also, I wish the demon had a different name. Despite being called the Lamia, it had nothing to do with the Greek myth.

Final Thoughts: I'm not sure why it's taken me this long to see the movie. It's not my favorite Sam Raimi movie, but it is up there.If you've not seen it, do yourself a favor and give it a shot.

In Your Game: The Lamia would make a great demon for most horror games. If playing World of Darkness, Inferno has plenty of useful rules for demons and their abilities. If you don't have access to this, modifying the rules for ghosts in the core book would suffice. If playing Cinematic Unisystem, Ghosts of Albion is where I'd look to start building stats for the Lamia. Start with an ethereal demon and make it more powerful. Also, if using cine uni I'd definitely give a cursed cast member extra drama points.

New To Me Movies Watched:2
Total Movies Watched: 3



1 comment: