Thursday, January 8, 2015

There's Been An Awakening

Okay, starting this post out by reminding you that this is my opinion. It's cool if you agree. Its cool if you don't. Star Wars is one of those subjects that get geeks worked up.

I love Star Wars. I played with the action figures when I was a kid. I read the comics. I spent hours playing all of the video games (my favorites being Shadows of the Empire, Jedi Power Battles, and KOTOR I and II). Hell, I skipped my only high school prom to go to Star Wars Celebration II.

It goes without saying, but the original trilogy is my favorite. I also grew up watching the ewok movies. Initially I loved the prequels too. I'm not going to be all high and mighty, I still like them, just not as much as I had originally. Then came the Clone Wars cartoon (the second, not the original miniseries, which I loved) and things like The Force Unleashed. Yeah they were fun, but they were also over the top, and took away a lot of the mystery of Star Wars.They also didn't have the wretched hive of scum and villainy or small group working against the odds aspects of the originals that I loved.

I'm really interested in Star Wars Rebels. While I don't think a jedi is a necessary part of the main cast, the looks interesting. I'm definitely going to check out season one when it's released on dvd.

I was hesitant when it was announced that new movies were being made. I didn't like that the expanded universe wasn't cannon anymore and I was burnt by the prequels. Abrams directing and some of the casting choices made me a little interested (particularly John Boyega), but then I saw the trailer...



HOLY FUCK THIS HAS ME EXCITED! 

I mean seriously, I don't care if you think this looks goofy. Me = FUCKING PUMPED:

I know I'm a bit late in the game talking about this (as the teaser's been out for a bit). There are many movies coming out this year I want to see, but none more than The Force Awakens. The voice over at the beginning, "There's been an awakening, have you felt it?"

That's how I feel. My love of Star Wars is waking up. Damn it feels good.

I'm probably going to pick up Fantasy Flight's Edge of the Empire when I get paid next. Eventually I'll also grab Age of Rebellion and I'm definitely buying Force and Destiny when it comes out.  Expect to see more Star Wars content on here as the year progresses. 

1 comment:

  1. If they can bring back a bit of the sense of wonder from the original movies, I will be happy.

    ReplyDelete