Wednesday, March 25, 2015

OSR Foundation Question

I want to run a game for a homebound friend. My initial thought was to run Freeport Pathfinder (because of my lovely new hardcover and that's the game he typically plays). However, I've accumulated many wonderful old school books (Yoon-Suin, A Red and Pleasant Land, Warriors of the Red Planet, +Venger Satanis's three releases) that have yet to be used. Again I may just do Freeport, but if I decide to go the old school route which system do you folks think I should use?


Or


Whatever I decide it probably won't be used straight as is. I can seem some Lamentations of the Flame Princess rules creeping into my B/X and Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyborea invading my AD&D. Much of the material from the OSR books I have can be used with either system. I guess I just want to know what you gamers and grognards think I should use as the base rules. Either way I'm going to pull material from various old school sources for the game, I just need to know which foundation to build the game on.

3 comments:

  1. Better to start with BX and build up than to try and pare down AD&D to playability, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good point. It also makes it easier to uses all of the classes from many of the OSR books I have.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete