Tuesday, October 27, 2015

October Horror Movie Challenge - Ginger Snaps (2000)


Synopsis: Ginger (Katharine Isabelle) and Brigitte (Emily Perkins) are two eccentric sisters in the sleepy suburban town of Bailey Downs. On the night of Ginger's first period she is attacked by a savage creature. When her wounds heal, Ginger finds herself changing, and it's up to her sister to save her.

The Good: Coming of age and discovering sexuality is a long running theme that ties into horror and monster stories. This movie does a good job of keeping that going. I absolutely adore both actresses. Isabelle in particular has been a crush of mine since high school.

The Bad: The acting isn't exactly Oscar worthy. Also, once Ginger goes full wolf creature, I'm not the biggest fan of the look. Oh yeah and there's one creepy incest line that squicks me out.

Final Thoughts: This is my favorite werewolf movie, hand down. I have friends that think it's cheesy, but I love it. Also, while I know it's nothing more than a nod at most, the town the the new flick A Christmas Horror Story is in is also named Bailey Downs. After I watch it, I'm sure I'll come up with all sorts of head cannon stuff.

In Your Game: I know I'm not the only one to think this, but the movie has a Buffy tv series vibe. It's a nice source of inspiration for an episode.

New To Me Movies Watched: 21.5
Total Movies Watched: 30

                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment