Monday, October 23, 2017

October Horror Movie Challenge - Ernest Scared Stupid (1991)


Synopsis: Ernest P. Worrell accidentally unleashes an evil troll on children of his unsuspecting town. With the help of a local hermit (played by Eartha Kitt) and his dog, he most stop the troll and save the kids

The Good: It's for kids, but this movie is pretty funny. It's also very sweet. There was something about Jim Varney and his characters that made me smile.

The Bad: It's a kids movie and it's not scary.

Final Thoughts: Despite my obsession with horror movies today, I was a big chicken as a kid. That's why this was my Halloween movie growing up. I watched it again recently, and unlike most things I loved as a kid, this actually held up. Yeah, it's silly, but I still laughed through the whole thing.

In Your Game: 
Name: Trantor the Troll
Motivation: Unleash his troll bretheren. 
Critter Type: Troll
Attributes: Str 2, Dex 4, Con 2, Int 3, Per 2, Will 4
Ability Scores: Muscle 10, Combat 14, Brains 14
Life Points: 56
Drama Points: 5
Special Abilities: Attractiveness -3, Dark Vision, Increased Life Points 30, banished by child-like love, milk is treated as Holy Water against trolls
                         
       Maneuvers
Name                   Score   Damage               Notes
Dodge                    14        -                    Defense action
Punch                     14       4                    Bash

New To Me Movies Watched: 18
Total Movies Watched: 33


1 comment:

  1. I am a big Ernest fan. Well...I honestly don't know what kind of a scale there is for Ernest fans, but I'd guess I'm in the top quartile, at least. Jail is probably my favorite of the bunch, but you'll often catch me singing "Gee I'm Glad It's Raining" from Camp on rainy days.

    Unfortunately, Scared Stupid came out right around the time I must have started to feel like I was too cool for Ernest. I remember getting it on VHS and not even finishing it. So, it just doesn't have the nostalgia of the others in the series, and I've never given it the respect of an open-minded viewing as an adult. I think I should give it another shot now that I'm more open to tapping into what I was like when I enjoyed the earlier films...

    ReplyDelete