Friday, August 3, 2018

How-To Make White Box Monsters (and Finster White Star Stats)

A recent discussion I've been having with friends is the style of games that we like to play. Most of my irl gaming friends tend to be Pathfinder players. They love the crunch, the options, and that there's a rule for everything. I'm not going to yuck someone's yum, but personally that's the reason I don't play Pathfinder anymore. I prefer a strong foundation and the ability to adapt it to do whatever and keep things going.

Yesterday my friend Josh made a great post over at JB Publishing highlighting one of the things I love about OSR games. You can check it out here. In a short post he gives simple step by step suggestions for creating monsters on the fly. No cross-referencing multiple Bestiaries for stats and templates, no "perfect balance", just a good 'ol monster ready to kill the party.


Now I'm going to use these suggestions to continue my White Star Power Ranger posts by making monster stats for the monster maker of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. That's pretty meta, right?


In the show Finster makes monsters for Rita and is said to be a great scientist (and alchemist).

Finster
Armor Class 8 [11]
Hit Dice 4
Total Hit Bonus +3
Attacks By Weapon or Alchemical Bomb (1d6+1 damage, range 25)
Saving Throw 13
Special Alchemical potions and bombs
Movement 12
HDE/XP 4/140

When encountered Finster will have 3d6 alchemical bomb potions (1d6+1 damage, range 25), 1d6+2 monster healing potions (heal 2d6 to "monsters," 1d6 to humans and demihumans at the GM's discretion), and 1 love potion (imbiber must make saving throw or fall in love with the next sentient being they see, this effect is permanent until the antidote is taken)

No comments:

Post a Comment