Sunday, August 19, 2018

Portsmaw Encounters - The Return of Reverend Pancake

One of the things I'm working on for Portsmaw is a d16 encounter list. As I make them, I'll post them on here.

This encounter is inspired by a story my friend John told me. Apparently somewhere in the county there's a preacher named Reverend Pancake that was buried and has a pretty apocalyptic epitaph (which is paraphrased below).

-------------------------
A small forgotten graveyard is found in clearing in the dark heart of the woods. While most of the grave markers are bare. There is a large marker in the center of the clearing. Though it can't be made out without wiping away the grime and vegetation that has grown over it, there is an inscription that reads "Though you lay my body beneath the soil I will rise again to lead an army of souls of the dead to reclaim the land from the wicked and undeserving of life. - Reverend Pancake" After the party is finished reading the inscription a bolt of lightning strikes the ground near the stone. The character with the lowest Luck score needs to roll a reflex saving throw or take 1d6 lightning damage as it arcs. The ground begins to shake and the next round Reverend Pancake bursts from his grave ready to take back the land. The next round his zombie followers burst forth from their graves. They target elves and wizards first.

Reverend Pancake (1): Init +2; Atk: Staff of the Pure +4 melee (1d6 + 1d4 to wizards, elves, and other spellcasters); AC 13; HD 5d6; MV 30'; Act 1d20; SP un-dead; SV Fort +4, Ref +0, Will +4; AL C

Though un-dead, he cannot be turned by clerics. In addition he does not need to eat, drink, or breath. He is also immune to sleep, charm, and hold spells, as well as other mental effects and cold damage.

Risen Zealots (Zombies) (2d3): See DCC RPG; p. 431

Staff of the Pure - This magical staff was designed to kill non-divine casters. The wielder gains a +1 bonus to hit and the staff does an extra 1d4 damage to anyone who can cast spells not gifted from the gods.

Source

4 comments:

  1. I just love the name "Reverend Pancake". It sounds like something from a Monty Python skit. Players will be scratching their heads and joking about it right up to the point when they get walloped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it’s pretty odd. Then again, southern Ohio is pretty odd, in general.

      Delete
  2. Can you provide an info link about the IRL Rev Pancake? I'm not finding anything in my google-fu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't either. I only know it as a word of mouth tale. I might hit the library back home next time I'm down to see if I can find any more information.

      Delete