Wednesday, July 3, 2019

The Ghoul Prince Review

The Ghoul Prince is a DCC adventure by Zzarchov Kowolski that's intended for 2nd level characters. The adventure isn't long, but the module has a brilliant design. Ultimately the adventure is about the prison/final resting place of "the Ghoul Prince" who's essentially an 80's slasher villain (which of course makes this one win points with me). This is the central frame in which the adventure is written. The adventure really is meant to be plugged into any game. The adventure is written with bolded nouns which tie back to the them you go with. The example of themes are barrow, desert tomb, and alpine mausoleum. There's also a worksheet that includes all bolded words that allows you to created your own version.

The adventure itself is 20 locations keyed to a Dyson Logos map. There are several new monsters and the titular Ghoul Prince to be encountered. There are also some frightening magic items and a new patron for the parties to discover.

This adventure is a great creative experiment and nice homage to 80's horror. I love the utilitarian design and slasher aspects. Once I get Portsmaw off the ground, I'll have to use the worksheet and do an Appalachian version. You could even turn the Bone Lady into some sort of corrupted medical AI and make this a Mutant Crawl Classics adventure. I've you're a fan of DCC (or MCC)  you should definitely pick this one up.

4 comments:

  1. Very intriguing. Thanks for the review, Justin. Might have to check this out at some point (even though I'm not a DCCer)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my experience DCC adventures are just as easy as other D&D clones and variations to adapt to different editions. I've ran a few of the adventures using 5e.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff as always. I am going to link folks here and to the Stranger Things vid you posted this week on my blog and podcast.

    ReplyDelete