Tuesday, July 9, 2019

YeeHaw!!!! (Country Crawl Classics Review)

I recently received my DCC Holy Grail, Country Crawl Classics. I didn't know this marvel existed until Daniel Bishop posted about it last year. This was created by a veritable conglomeration of DCC folks and Daniel lists them in his post.


CCC feels like Adventure Time if you gave it some dip, backwoods hooch, and forced it to listen to Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings for three days straight. Or if you combined Redneck Zombies and Smokey and the Bandit, but decided to have Tom Waits do the soundtrack. Oh and add some Idiocracy and Brawndo the Thirst Mutilator into the mix for good measure.

The zine contains character generation (including occupations and equipment). There's a new feature called the misery die. This lowers your characters rolls but will eventually reward your character with increased lucky when you pass the misery around.

There is a running CCC on the fly section which lets you run a game of Country Crawl Classics anywhere and anytime (though I don't recommend doing doing Sunday school). The charts are all entertaining and had me laughing.  There is a funnel adventure that includes cannibals and space vampires. There are also several new critters to face, the fearsome being Elvis AI! Country Crawl Classics can easily be used for a hillbilly Umerican game if that's an idea that interests you.

Okay this zine is no where near politically correct or polite. Michael Curtis gave Appalachian culture a respectful representation in The Chained Coffin. You're not going to find that here. This plays on all of the negative stereotypes of country folk and is a bleak game. Thing is, even though I’m proud of my Appalachian upbringing, I’ve witnessed the darker side that inspired this first hand. That’s why I don’t find this offensive. The topics are presented in an absurd way. Honestly, I can't wait to run it for my friends. I might even come up with some new content for it.

1 comment:

  1. Where can a misguided soul get their hands on a copy of this precious gem?

    ReplyDelete