Friday, October 11, 2019

October Horror Movie Challenge - Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988)

Like most of the films I watch for the challenge, this is free to watch movie on Tubi
Mike and his girlfriend, Debbie, witness a comet crash outside of town. Unfortunately, the comet actually turns out to be a space ship piloted by murderous aliens that appear to be grotesque clowns. While authorities think their reports are a prank, the pair and their friends must stop the alien menace.

While this movie is goofy and by all means should be B movie schlock, it's actually very well crafted. The Chiodo Brothers are amazing effects people and this film is a blast. The premise is ridiculous, but is done with an excellent blend of humor and genuine creepiness that makes it work.

I have an funny relationship with this movie. When I was a kid I caught part of it on HBO (the shadow puppet dinosaur scene) and it's why I was afraid of horror movies until my early 20's. Now I see the movie and laugh.

Random note, some of the Klown costumes were repainted and later used for one of my favorite Halloween movies, Ernest Scared Stupid.

In Your Game: I have several Killer Klown related stat posts for SURVIVE THIS!!. 

Killer Klowns From Outer Space
PopKorn Klown
Jojo the Clownzilla 

I thought I'd stat out the female Klowns, who don't seem to be murderous (and just wanted to have sex with the Terenzi brothers in the film).

Female Killer Klown From Outer Space aka Klussy
Armor Class: 12
Hit Dice: 2
Move: 12
Actions: 1
Attack: By Weapon
Special: Can inflate bosom, attackers must make a DC 10 Wis check to attack.
Bonuses: +5 to seduction rolls
Morale: 6
HDE: 2

While the only reason these Klowns made out (and possibly had sex) with the Terenzi is because they were horny, with these stats I propose that they actually have hypnotic powers that make them more attractive (which may lead to Klown hybrids in my games).

New To Me Movies Watched: 6
Total Movies Watched: 14



3 comments:

  1. When I was very young my parents let me watch Omen II on TV (because I kept pestering) and that freaked me out and gave me horrible nightmares.

    Then - at the height of the UK's "video nasties" scare - one of my school friend's dad had some dodgy contacts and acquired a pirate copy of the original Evil Dead. Needless to say I made it through about 15 minutes before I had to leave the room and didn't watch another horror film for YEARS!!!

    It was watching Dawn Of The Dead with a group of friends as teenagers (I couldn't back out because there were girls there, and I didn't want to be a wuss!!!) that won me round to the genre - and cemented zombies as my favourite monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really enjoy (even with the "cheesy" overdone...._)
    part of what made this film so enjoyable

    ReplyDelete