Sunday, August 9, 2020

The Green Knight

I'm really looking forward to A24's The Green Knight. Like many movies it's release has been delayed by the ongoing global bastard. That's one of the reasons I was excited when The Green Knight: A Fantasy Roleplaying Game - A Quest For Honor Starter Set. 

The starter set is a sturdy green box. It comes with a barebones map of the setting, 5 character sheets, a d20, and a 30 Gamer Master's Guide. The GM's guide contains the classic one page of "what is an rpg?", four pages of rules for the game, and a four encounters that mimic the plot of the film. The back inside cover has three one-paragraph quest/challenge ideas based on other A24 movies (Uncut Gems, Midsommer, and The Lighthouse).    

The game is rather simple mechanically. Characters have an honor score. This number is used to determine success and failure. When you reach 20 honor your story is over. There are no hit points and the purpose of the game is storytelling and questions of honor. The rules are lite and not really my thing, but I could see some folks enjoying them. This boxed set is marketed as a Starter, but I have a feeling it's a one and done thing. Not really sure how you could expand it too much.

My honest opinion of this game is that it's overpriced and doesn't have enough content for the amount A24 is asking for it. That being said it looks great and is an awesome collector's piece for movie buffs. I'm disappointed in the game itself, but I feel okay about the purchase overall. If you want to snag this expensive, but geeky piece of movie ephemera you can get it here

1 comment:

  1. Great review. Thank you for your financial sacrifice, which has saved me from making an even greater one and importing this across the ocean. It's still one I'll keep an eye out for over here, but only if it's going cheap on eBay ;)

    ReplyDelete