Sunday, August 1, 2021

#RPGaDay2021 - Day 01

Here we go again!

The first prompt for this year's RPG a Day is scenario. I've decided to talk about my favorite adventure I've ran and the adventure I'm most excited  to run one of these days. 

Of all the adventures I've ran, Daniel Bishop's The Arwich Grinder is my favorite. Presented in Crawl #9, this horror adventure is a 0-level funnel. I don't want to spoil anything, but it's a creepy Lovecraftian affair that involves a lot nastiness and an old farm. While it definitely fits in with the New England Lovecraft Country vibe, I've found with a little spin it also works really well with Shudder Mountains Appalachian style gaming. I've ran the adventure twice. The first time I ran it for my friends Josh and Stew. You can read my notes about that session here. Surprisingly the last time I ran it, there were zero player casualties.  If you play DCC, you need to get a copy of this one.

Of the many adventures I own, but have never ran, An Occurrence at Howling Crater is the one I love the most and the one I'm most excited to run. Planet X Games produce amazing books. It's just a fact. Howling Crater is one of the many gems they've released. It's grindhouse hillbilly terror mixed with robuts and retro sci-fi glory. I understand the over the top and genre-bending nature of the adventure might not make it everyone's cup of tea, but by the gods it's definitely someone's jug of irradiated moonshine. The adventure is written for 5e, but could be adapted to several different swords and magic games. Do yourself a favor and pick this one up too. 

----------------

One down, thirty more to go.


2 comments:

  1. Great first entry. Looking forward to following your posts through the month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent!
    Looking forward to reading what you have to say all month.

    ReplyDelete