Thursday, June 8, 2023

My D&D Movies

A lot of folks, myself included, loved Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. This got me thinking about other D&D movies. I'm not specifically talking about official D&D movies, but the movies that I've associated with D&D and that get me in the mood, so to speak.  There are two that immediately come to mind (both of which came out when I was in high school).

The 13th Warrior may have been a commercial and critical flop, but it's still one of my all time favorite movies. There was a good two or three year period that I would put this one in every night before bed. There are issues with it, for sure, but I love it. The ensemble cast is great and this is peak smoldering Banderas. Vladimir Kulich's Buliwyf has always stuck with me and influenced my choice to nearly always support the Nords in Skyrim (because he voices Ulfric Stormcloak). Also love Tony Curran and Dennis Storhøi in their supporting rolls. The action is great and the film is well shot. I also dig the humor. This movie is a favorite of most of my high school and college gaming friends. 


The Scorpion King is my Conan movie. It's my favorite swords and sorcery flick and holds the same spot in my heart that 1982's Conan the Barbarian has to other gamers. I've always loved the Rock (with the exception of his OG Rocky Miavia days) and this movie is just cool. It has a great supporting cast, over the top action scenes, and a cool factor that can't be denied. 

I think I might have to make some gaming content based on these two flicks soon. So what are your D&D movies? 

5 comments:

  1. Definitely the low-budget flick Dragonfyre that came out like 10 years ago...I absolutely love it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dragonslayer, Clash of the Titans (the original), Conan the Barbarian, The Sword & the Sorcerer, Beastmaster, Legend. Excalibur. The Princess Bride. Dude, I grew up in the '80s...can't you tell?

    I watched a lot of Robin Hood movies in my youth: I had the Erol Flynn version, the Disney (with animals), and the Costner "Prince of Thieves" all on VHS. In high school, one of the guys in my group would be put that last one on every time we were gaming, just as "background." Watched all of them a LOT, but I could probably recite every line from the Costner one.

    The 13th Warrior is a hugely underrated flick. But I'm a sucker for any Beowulf film or knockoff. King Arthur, too, but Beowulf is the shit. That version with Lambert was pretty good.

    Love the Rock. Did NOT like the Scorpion King. But the Mummy films are pretty inspirational...for me, any pulp stuff is (Indiana Jones, Allan Quartermain, etc.). Stuff with deserts, jungles, mountains, and lost cities are all good. Things with Vikings. Swords and axes in general. Yeah.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. First and foremost, of course, is Hawk The Slayer, then any Harryhausen fantasy flick (in my mind D&D skeletons always behave like the Children of The Hydra's Teeth from Jason & The Argonauts, for instance).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no doubt about what your number one would be.

      Delete