Sunday, October 20, 2024

October Horror Challenge - Salem's Lot (2024)

In addition to Slay, the other vampire flick I wanted to watch this October was Max's new Salem's Lot movie. That's why I picked it for Day 20's "Monstrous Blood Suckers."


Plot
Ben Mears is an author that returns home looking for inspiration for his next book. He soon discovers something is wrong in the Lot and is confronted with a diabolic vampiric plot.

Review
This movie is getting a lot of hate in my feed. Particularly from the folks that watched the original 1979 three-hour two-part tv miniseries. I (shockingly) have not see that one or the 2004 TNT version with Rob Lowe. I can agree with one of the major critiques they have. This one is way too rushed. There are many characters and scenes that would have been improved with more time and background. 

All that being said I thought it was a fun flick. That seems to put me in the minority. I didn't think it was spectacular but it was a solid vampire flick. I enjoyed the cast a lot. My only complaint about it is that I would've enjoyed more William Sadler. While watching this flick I noticed one of the kids looked like a younger version of Ryan from The Boys. That's because he's played by that actor's younger brother, Nicholas Crovetti.  

Ultimately my opinion is one of someone that doesn't have a lot of previous experience with this story.  I dug the movie and think that despite its flaws its worth checking out. I think it takes a little bit to get going but once the dominos start falling the film works at a rather frantic pace. Seriously the bodies start piling up really quickly. 

 Your Game 
No new game content for this one. Honestly there's nothing new here that's not already present in most modern horror games. It could be a fun way to start a hunter's game though. 


Movies Watched: 22
New to Me: 14.66

No comments:

Post a Comment