Monday, October 14, 2024

October Horror Challenge -The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)

Day 13's prompt was "Inspired by True Events." Never watched the original The Town That Dreaded Sundown so I thought I'd change that.


Plot
A hooded berserker attacks young people spending time at lovers' lanes in 1946 Texarkana.

Review
This one is loosely based on the Texarkana Moonlight MurdersI read that while some minor artistic license was taken, the general depiction of major events are accurate. After watching things like Terrifier 3, this one comes off as quaint. The music and everything about it just reminds me of something wholesome. There's even a comic relief character. The more I think about it, it actually kind of bothers. This movie is based on true events. Actual people were killed and there were some sexual assaults in the real incident. 

That rambling thought aside, what did I think of the movie? I enjoyed it. There are some legitimately creepy moments. The murder scene after the prom in particular really sticks out to me. Its shot in a disturbing way and is quite sadistic, even if it's not graphic by today's standards. The ending was also a nice touch.  

 Your Game 
Because of the backstory to this one I don't feel right doing stats for it. If you want to play a game based on something like this I definitely recommend Bloody Appalachia.


Movies Watched: 14
New to Me: 9.66

No comments:

Post a Comment