Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Vore for AS&SH

I watched Beastmaster for the first time in probably 15 years recently. I was kind of afraid to do it. A lot of the stuff I loved as a kid haven't stood the test of time. The Beastmaster did though. Honestly, I think I enjoyed it more than I did as a kid... though the whole love interest revealed to be a cousin thing creeps me out.

I was always bothered by the bird men. They don't give them a name in the film and somewhere I found the name vore associated with pictures of them, so that's what I'm calling them.

This is my first attempt at statting a monster out of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyborea, so it may be a bit off.

VORE
No. Encounted: 2d6
Alignment: Neutral
Size M
Movement: 50 (fly 120)
Dexterity: 15
Armour Class: 6
Hit Dice: 3
No. of Attacks: 1 (Grapple)
Damage: see Special
Saving Throw: 15
Morale: 9
Experience Points: 120
Treasure: C

The vore are mysterious flesh-eating bird men from a bygone age. Those that encounter them, never forget. While some prefer to cook their meals, the primary means of consumption is  quite horifying. The creature will grapple a humanoid and release a flesheating acid, absorbing nutrients through its fleshy wings, leaving only bones.

No one knows the true origins of the vore. Some speculate that they are related to the more common Hyborean bird men, though no one has found any true evidence of this. Other's speculate a connection to harpies. The most common belief is that the creatures were created to be assassins by some now dead or forgotten god of the sky.

Special
* Any creature grappled by the Vore automatically takes 1d8 acid damage on the vore's turn. This continues until the creature is dead or escapes the vore's grasp.







4 comments:

  1. Beastmaster will always have a special place in my heart. And those creatures are fucking boss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very late to reply but where did you find that image of the Birdman/Winged Devourer from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I don't remember. Just found it doing some Google-fu back in 2014.

      Delete