Friday, April 1, 2016

A is for Alcohol and 5E (My House Rules)

Greetings guests and regular readers! I'm Justin. I'm a librarian and gamer.

My theme for this A-Z challenge is alcohol and D&D. If you don't play tabletop rpg's, this will probably sound like a foreign language to you. Still, thanks for stopping by.

Throughout these posts I'm going to include commentary and quotes from Cade Ashworthy, halfling gourmand, hedonist, and planeswalker. Once my friend, +David Coppoletti finishes his sketches of Cade, I'll also post him with stats.

I figured I'd start with my house rules drinking and intoxication.

Alcohol is divided into three tiers of strength.

Mead, wine, and common ales are considered weak. The Constitution saving throw DC to avoid getting drunk after a mug of these is 10. It takes a short rest to recover from the poisoned status.

Stout ales, whisky, and other spirits are considered medium. The Constitution saving throw DC to avoid getting drunk after a mug of these is 15. It takes a short rest to recover from the poisoned status.

Dwarven stout, Elven absinthe, and other extremely intoxicating fantasy brews are considered strong. The Constitution saving throw DC to avoid getting drunk after a mug of these is 20. It takes a long rest to recover from the poisoned status.

After three Constitution saving throw failures, the character passes out.

In addition to having the poisoned status from getting drunk, at the DM's discretion the character has the following temporary traits.
  • Intoxicated characters gain disadvantage on all non-fear Wisdom saving throws.
  • Intoxicated characters gain advantage on fear-based saving throws.
(last update April 4, 2016)

2 comments:

  1. This should be a fun one!

    I generally find that alcohol and D&D do not mix well. ;)

    Tim
    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
    2015 A to Z of Adventure!
    http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, are we taking shots and then rolling? I'm slightly confused. Are we fake drinking? lol

    ReplyDelete