Saturday, October 15, 2016

October Horror Movie Challenge - Evil Dead (2013)


Synopsis: Mia's brother and friends stage an intervention to get her to kick the habit. One of the friends discovers a mysterious book in the bases and unleashes a corrupting evil.

The Good: In my opinion, this is how you do a remake. There are elements of the originals and plot similarities to the original Evil Dead. However, this is its' own thing. I enjoyed the characters and actors and I think the effects look horrific (in the right way).

The Bad: If you're wanting the slapstick tone of Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness, you aren't going to get it here. Also the scenes can be very brutal. I still wince during some of them.

Final Thoughts: This tends to be a polarizing movie. You either love it or hate it. Personally I love it. I'm curious to see the new cut of the film (even though it only adds five minutes of footage).

In Your Game: I've already statted out Mia for the Army of Darkness RPG. You can find the stats here.

New To Me Movies Watched: 16
Total Movies Watched: 25

1 comment:

  1. It looked great... but I really couldn't have cared less about the bland characters AND it was chock full of really dumb writing.
    What made the first one great was its gruesome, grinning, malevolence... not exactly humor, but it didn't take itself nearly as serious as this remake did and I think that removed whatever made the original work for me.

    ReplyDelete