Sunday, November 5, 2017

The Portsmaw Setting

This past April I decided to create a fantasy setting based on the place I grew up (while borrowing elements from the rest of Appalachia too). I had planned to compile that work and unfortunately as of today haven't. However, I think it's a worthwhile project idea and today I'm going to start work on a Portsmaw setting book. Though the project will be easy to adapt to any D&D-esque game, I'm writing it for Swords & Wizardry Light anContinual Light. This is what I'm looking to include.


  • History of the Oh'yio River Valley 
  • Information about the lizardolk tribes that dwelt their before the coming of the goodly races.
  • Who's who of folks (good and ornery) in the valley (with stats of course).
  • Detailed overview of city of Portsmaw
  • Descriptions of surrounding communities and landmarks (Rotway, McDermott, Blood Gravel).
  • New class: the bootlegger 
  • New alternate class: preacher (for local clerics)
  • New monsters (including the sorghum ooze, giant catfish, axe grinder) as well unique entities (Boss Tide, Xira, Jasper, the Mothman).
  • Magic items (including Johan's apple seeds and Hearthfire).

It's going to take a while, but I'm sure the end result will be fun.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fascinating project. I look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. I had a setting based on my hometown,Chillicothe, that I started but never finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My interest is piqued. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely something I'm looking forward to!

    ReplyDelete