Tuesday, June 5, 2018

White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game

As usual I'm a little late getting to the party. Today I wanted to talk about one of my newest rpg acquisitions, White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game by Charlie Mason. This game is essentially the author's house rules for Swords & Wizardry White Box. If you're wondering how it differs, Charlie has made a post about it here, listing the differences. My favorite additions, are the thief class which isn't included in the S&W White Box (or initial OD&D release for that matter), adventuring rules (torches, secret doors and such), and jousting rules. I don't need jousting rules for D&D, but every time I go to a renfest, I want them.

While there haven't been any updates in a while, you can check out the White Box blog by following this link.  There are a few versions of the book. You can snag the "red cover" at OBS here. The pdf is free.
You can grab the print on demand white cover hardcover at OBS for 14.82 here.  You can grab the soft cover version (the one pictured in the post) on Amazon for 4.29 (with free Prime shipping) here. If (or when) I run this game I'll probably snag copies for each of my players.

If you want to play original edition D&D I think this might be one of the best and most cost effective versions out there.

I've got some campaign ideas brewing in my head that involve White Box Zombies, Puss in Boots, luchador mariachi players, and maybe a little gothic horror thrown in for funsies....

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy Delving Deeper for White Box gaming, although this seems like a fairly good alternative also.

    ReplyDelete