Saturday, October 10, 2020

Moon Daughter's Fate

 

Moon Daughter's Fate is the latest Indiegogo project from Necromancer Games/Frog God Games. Written by Alice Peng this mid-level adventure taps into Chinese folklore. Starting with an encounter with a disguised god, the adventure features several different areas and new monsters, and an opportunity to deal with quarreling gods. 

I recently spoke with Alice and asked her the inspiration for the adventure:

It really is from my childhood.  As a child, I was raised with all these Chinese High Fantasy stories born from myths and lore.  There's lots of TV shows, movies, and books that don't have English translations.

Playing TTRPGs for so many decades, I've found an absolute void of these stories in the hobby and wanted to share a piece of my childhood and a culture that is rarely translated.

I've GMed this subgenre of fantasy for a number of gaming groups and they've all loved it but it's funny that when I try to explain to them what they can expect, there are very few movies/tv shows/books in English that I can reference them to so I always end up saying "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is Wuxia and Sorcerer and the White Snake is more FengShen/XianXia."

Representation is important and I'm really excited to see how Alice brings Chinese folklore to the gaming table. I think it's wonderful when folks share their cultural heritage and I know this adventure is going to rock. 

Do yourself a favor, if you player 5e, Pathfinder 1e, or OSR (particularly Swords & Wizardry), check out this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment