Wednesday, October 23, 2024

October Horror Challenge - The Crow (1994)

"Best Soundtrack" was the prompt for Day 23. Last year I went with Queen of the Damned, which I still say has the best. A few of my friends said they'd go with 94's The Crow. I didn't before because while I see The Crow as horror adjacent, I don't see it as a horror flick. However, this year I said fuck it and went with The Crow. 


Plot
One year after the night he and his fiancĂ© were murdered, a musician rises from the grave for revenge. 

Review
I honestly don't know how to review this one. The Crow is one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. It's a gothic superhero movie with some horror elements that are turned on their heads. It's sort of a reverse slasher. Instead of the protagonists being stalked by an undead revenant, the revenant is the protagonist doing the stalking. The dialogue is fantastic and I quote it regularly. All of the characters are interesting and the actors do a fantastic job. The sets are great and are what I picture when I think of the World of Darkness. 

Since I picked this one for "Best Soundtrack" I feel I should at least touch on it. It's a fantastic mix of primarily early 90's grunge and industrial. The music was just picked for a soundtrack release. It's integrated seamlessly in the film and is almost its own character. My favorite track is definitely Burn by The Cure. It's a haunting song that was written by Robert Smith because he loved the graphic novel. This song has a special place in my heart. 

Because the lead, Brandon Lee, was tragically killed filming this, the movie is given almost religious reverence by some. For most folks this is the one and only version of The Crow. I can totally understand that, but I do recommend picking up the James O'Barr graphic novel it's based on. I've not read any of his other comics for The Crow, but hope to one day.

Your Game 
If you want to play a game based on The Crow, you can pick up the sourcebook/adventure that Evil Genius Games released a year or two ago. 

Movies Watched: 26
New to Me: 15.66

No comments:

Post a Comment