Monday, October 23, 2023

October Horror Challenge - Queen of the Damned (2002)

I cam up with "Best Soundtrack" with this movie in mind. I'll readily admit that I'm a nu-metal loving Elder Millennial and I still rock out to this soundtrack on a regular basis.


Plot
The vampire Lestat awakens in the modern era and reinvents himself as a rockstar. This draws the attention of the vampire world making many angry at his revelation of their secrets. It also draws the attention of the evil vampire queen, Akasha, who seeks to make him her new king. 

Review
I remember this being a controversial one in the horror circles I ran with back in the day. A lot of folks didn't like the changes made from Anne Rice's original novel. I never read it so I had no dog in that fight. Other folks didn't like that Stuart Townsend was Lestat and not Tom Cruise. I like the nu-metal take on Lestat and couldn't see Tom Cruise playing the role. Stuart Townsend is a sexy man and I thought he did a good job as Lestat. I'd kill to hear him call me a clever librarian. This version was also relatable, unlike the Interview With A Vampire version. Because of the plot, music is an important part of the story. Lestat's vocals are performed by Jonathan Davis of Korn (who plays a ticket scalper in the movie). I loved Korn back in the day (though it's hard to listen to them now because JD has some crazy Qanon level conspiracies). However, because of a contractual obligation he couldn't perform the soundtrack. This actually made the soundtrack even better because the Vampire Lestat's songs were performed by other frontmen of the time including David Draiman (Disturbed), Jay Gordon (Orgy), Marilyn Manson, Wayne Static (Static X), and Chester Benington (Linkin Park). 

The true standout of the film is Aaliyah as Akasha. She is seductive and powerful. She steals every scene she is in and plays the perfect vampire queen.


This is one that no matter the hate it gets, will always have a special place in my heart.

In Your Game 
The librarians of the Talamasca would fit right into the world of What Shadows Hide and We Die Young. 

The Order of the Talamasca
The secret society known as the Order of the Talasmasca research and keep tabs on the supernatural. There work is similar to supernatural anthropology. They have been known to aid C.A.R.E. and other benevolent supernatural organizations in time of great need, but they traditionally have an observe but don't engage directive. Most members are Academics, though the occasional Arcane Thief, Archeologist, or Medium can be found among the numbers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment