Wednesday, October 16, 2019

October Horror Movie Challenge - The Mountain of the Cannibal God (1978)

This cannibal exploitation flick is available on Tubi
A woman and her brother get a guide and illegally got to an island (known to be inhabited by cannibal tribe) in order to find her lost husband.

Cannibal tribe flicks are something that just aren't my thing. While I did kind of enjoy Eli Roth's The Green Inferno, I can get into the classic exploitation flicks. I've watched Cannibal Holocaust it bothered me (because of the actual animal deaths), but I thought I'd give the genre one more go with this one. Honestly, my feelings haven't changed. While some of the scenery is beautiful, this just seemed like an excuse for brutalizing nature. There's also some weird sexual things in this one that happen with the goddess is presented to the tribe, there's some random sex between a few tribesman, close ups of a woman pleasuring herself, and a man fucking an oversized pig. 

This has made me realize that I prefer cannibal families ala Wrong Turn, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and The Hills Have Eyes over cannibal jungle folk. A part of this might be that those families have a closer connection to modern society.

Unless you just really love cannibal jungle movies, I'd pass on this one.

Finally, just because I don't care for the movies, this doesn't mean I don't appreciate the genre. For example, Jungle Tomb of the Mummy Bride by Planet X Games is a goddamn amazing 5e adventure!

In Your Game:  
Indigenous Cannibal Tribesman
Armor Class: 12
Hit Dice: 3
Move: 12
Actions: 1
Attack Damage: By Weapon
Special: The tribesman can spend their action eating human flesh to regain 1d6 HP 
Bonuses: +2 to Stealth in natural settings
Morale: 7
HDE: 2

New To Me Movies Watched: 12
Total Movies Watched: 20


No comments:

Post a Comment