Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Doom-Cave of the Crystal-Headed Children

Ok, so I now have my hands on a copy of The Doom-Cave of the Crystal-Headed Children.

Alright, like others I have some issue with the cover. It's not the slaughter of the crystal-headed children that bothers me. Why is the adventure title hidden behind artwork? The system name is above the artwork, but it's too much to put the adventure title there too? Okay, in the grand scheme of things, this is a minor quibble, so I'll drop it.

As far as the adventure itself is concerned I have mixed feelings (which tends to be my feelings about many LotFP adventures). I tend to like them overall, but I guess it's not always my kind of weird.

 The dungeon itself is really cool. If you want a to do an Expedition to the Barrier Peaks alien in fantasy adventure, the map and room descriptions work. I love the random charts for the various buttons and crystals. .

I think my issue with the adventure actually lies with the titular crystal-headed children. I understand that this is Lamentations of the Flame Princess and weird is in the description of the game, but this one is just too much for me. All of the children having the same name and features (genetically being the same child) just doesn't work for me. I read the description about why it happens, but I don't know. Perhaps if the children were more like Children of the Damned I think I could have handled it better. Also the "villain" Wiki Dot Pod doesn't do much for me.

Ultimately this is a FREE rpg book so I can't complain too much. I like it overall, I just think that if I ever ran it I would keep the creepiness, just tone down the super weird. That's the great thing about rpg's though, you don't like it, you don't have to run it that way.

Anyone else pick this up? What do you think?

Update: Raggi's has commented on the cover. You can read what he has to say here.

No comments:

Post a Comment