Friday, September 4, 2015

Desolation RPG

A few months ago I picked up Desolation. Desolation is a post-apocalyptic fantasy game that uses the Ubiquity system (just like Leagues of Adventure and Hollow Earth Expedition).

Other than reading some blog posts, this is my only real taste of the Ubiquity system (and I've not actually played it just read it). As far as the system is concerned, I really like what I've read. The rules seem really simple (though not in a detrimental or insulting way) and I love the style points. The main difference between Desolation and other Ubiquity games is the inclusion a free form magic system and alternate races (most Ubiquity games assume characters are human).

Now I'll talk about the setting a bit. The before the apocalypse part of the setting is rather bland. It just seems very classic high fantasy, like Forgotten Realms or something. Honestly not a lot of setting information is given about the world post apocalypse either, but I think that's intentional. The book allows GM's to create their own post-apocalyptic fantasy wastelands, which is a nice strategy on the part of the writers. The fiction nails the bleakness of the setting and I really enjoy it.

If you are a fan of Ubiquity or want a different take on fantasy, I don't think  you'll go wrong picking up Desolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment