Friday, March 11, 2016

Swords and Sorcery Films

Thinking about the Robert E. Howard's Conan Roleplaying Game Kickstarter has got me in a Swords and Sorcery mood. So I'm curious, what are your top three favorite Swords and Sorcery flicks?

Here are mine:
Conan the Barbarian (2011) - I know this may sound heretical, but I think 2011's Conan with Jason Mamoa is more entertaining than the original. I found the characters more memorable and I just dig Mamoa's Conan more than Arnie's.

The Beastmaster (1982) - I watched this movie every weekend growing up. This movie is definitely has Don Coscarelli's touch and is weird in all the right ways. I watched it again this last year and it holds up, though now that I see the incestuous bits, I'm creeped out. The Jun horde and witches still creep me out. I'll be including both in my first Conan game.

The Scorpion King (2002) - I love the Rock. He's charismatic as Hell. There's just something about the Scorpion King that has a special place in my heart. I watched it in theaters with my best friends in high school and I have fond memories. It's still my go to swords and sorcery flick. I think a Memnon-like character would be a great villain for a Conan game. I've watched the other Scorpion King movies, which are pretty bad, but are ok if you're in the right mood. I just wish the 3rd and 4th would have had the Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment