Thursday, June 16, 2016

Kaiju Question

This one is fair simply:

Have you ever used Kaiju in your game? 
I realize that D&D has things like dragons and other huge, gargantuan, and colossal beasts that are kaiju-like but I'm just curious if anyone has ever done anything kaiju-related in their games. 

The Bestiary 4 for Pathfinder contains kaiju stats. Nothing official exists in, but if you want to include kaiju  there's a product on the DM's Guild site that may interest you. Gargantuas of Kara-Tur 5E updates Gargantuas (essentially Kaiju) from the Kara-Tur Monster Compendium to 5th edition. At only two dollars, the product doesn't have a lot of content, but it still gives you four varieties and something to work from when making your own. The four different gargantua represented are reptillian (Godzilla), humanoid (King Kong), insectoid (Mothra) and Krakentua (the Cthulhu in a kimono to the right). I've not used them yet, but they seem reasonably well balanced. 



8 comments:

  1. Oh yeah. Played a Star Wars d20 game that featured an attack by Space Godzilla. Had an awesome time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used or faced one. They're just so dang big and seem so fiddly to play properly. I have toyed with kaiju rules for the old D6 Star Wars game, though. (I love the way the D6 System scales.)

    There was also an issue of Fight On! that had an adventure for Encounter Critical called "The Godzillas Will Breath on You!" Never played it (obviously?), but it was fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about using them as a natural disaster for an adventure. I think it could be a lot of fun.

      Delete
  3. I've used them as backdrop elements. They can be a lot of fun and definitely add a unique flavor of catastrophe to the game.

    Here's a kaiju-critter that showed up in my 5e game.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-zU7WkSNTgJdS11M185Q3ZQN2s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I say this to you a lot, but "That's awesome, Dave!"

      Delete
  4. gargantua clearly are kaiju

    ran a game of marvel but everyone a kaiju and would play contact humans for non monster scenes was a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a lot of fun. I might have to use that sometime.

      Delete