Saturday, September 24, 2016

Giant Miniatures and 5E

This past week I was getting minis ready for Storm King's Thunder and I noticed a slight problem with the giants.

All of the standard giants in 5th edition are huge. In 4th edition giants were typically large and titans were huge. In third edition and Pathfinder, most giants are large (with the exception of cloud and storm). Between myself and my friend Stew, we have quite a few giants of nearly all varieties. However, most of our giants aren't the appropriate size. Stew is going to make some cardboard huge bases to put them on, but it's still a nuisance.

Each booster of the new set of D&D minis comes a giant. Every giant in the set is appropriately sized. Something that does bother me slightly is that frost and stone giants have already been released in the 5th edition line of minis. The minis themselves are appropriately sized, but the bases are one size too small. I searched the net to find a few pictures to show what I'm talking about.

Large Frost Giant (5e) next to a Huge Ice Titan (4E)
Large Stone Giant (5e) next to a Huge Death Titan (4E)
None of this is the end of the world and I've already figured out a way to fix the problem, but it's still odd and a bit frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment