Sunday, November 13, 2016

Volo's Guide to Monsters

Friday I picked up a hobby store variant of the new 5E book, Volo's Guide to Monsters. The first chapter takes a detailed looked at the physiology, psychology, and social structures of several iconic D&D monsters. Chapter 2 presents new monstrous player races. A few of these are retreads. The Goliath appeared in the Elemental Evil Player's Companion. The aasimar is also in this chapter, though this version is very different from the DMG version. It's really cool and I think I'd like to play a fallen aasimar. Other races detailed are firbolg, lizard folk, kenku, and tabaxi (catfolk). There's a page that presents other monstrous player options (though the stats are limited). The final chapter of the book is a mini monster manual. There's a lot of interesting stuff.

This book is nominally set in the Forgotten Realms. Volo and Elminster wrote the forward and provide commentary (which look like notes attached to the tome) through out. Otherwise, the book is rather setting neutral. If you play 5E, I definitely recommend this one. I'm not going to say it's a must have, but it's a great one.

Also if you want a cool copy like me, support you friendly local game store and get a limited print run hobby edition like I did.



Like previous 5E books, this one has a great disclaimer. I think this is my favourite thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment