Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Castlevania Season 1


Season 1 of Castlevania is fantastic. The voice acting is top tier, the action is stylish, the animation is slick, the story is interesting, and the show is bloody as Hell.  Even though he isn't in the season much, I love this version of Dracula. He's a tragic villain, but still a villain. You feel sympathy for him, despite his drastic and genocidal actions. Plus, Graham McTavish is a fantastic actor and voice actor. Richard Armitage (Thorin from the Hobbit films) does an excellent job as Trevor Belmont too. The character provides some nice humor to the otherwise dark series. It's also cool to see a character regain some of his faith.

I only have two complaints:

  1. The season is way too short. It's only four 23 minute episodes. This will be improved with Season 2, which will be 8 episodes.
  2. There is no wall chicken. Though from what I've read, the writers really tried to include this throwback to the video games. They just couldn't find a good spot in season 1.

If you're playing Curse of Strahd or Lamentations of the Flame Princess and want some good inspiration, this is the series for you. Friday I statted out the primary weapon of the Belmont Clan, the Vampire Killer for LotFP. I might stat out some of the characters and monsters (from the show and video game series) soon.


2 comments:

  1. I had no idea this was going to be a thing. When I noticed it and started watching, LotFP kept going through my head too...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been waiting on this one for a while. Production started all the way back in 2005 when the studio got a hold of the rights.

      Delete