Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Monsters of Mayhem #1 Review

I recently received my pdf for backing +Mark Taormino Monsters of Mayhem #1 Kickstarter.  I backed this project and have proof-reader credits for it.

Check out this cover. It's flippin' sweet (if you're okay with cheesecake art).


This manual of monsters is full of 48 beasties. If you've read or played through any of the Maximum Mayhem Dungeon adventures (and you should btw), then you'll recognize things like blue trolls, casket creep, and little green bastards. There are also several new monsters that are familiar if you're a fan of cinema. Here's a run down of my favourite monsters in the book:

Block of Hungry Flesh - This thing is just so fricken' gross. Ever wonder what happens when you mix the alien from The Thing with a gelatinous cube? Neither did I and now that I've seen it I can't unsee it.
Demonia Gigantica - Giant sexy demon.... though it's a frightening thought I think all of my games need this.
Lagoon Creeper - It's the Creature from the Black Lagoon. This is definitely a necessity in D&D, because that guy gets shafted compared to a lot of Universal Monsters.
Nightmare Warriors - Roving bands of blood thirsty undead warriors.
Plague Bunny - These bastards are deceptive. They look like cute little bunnies and then they explode and cover everyone with diseased viscera. That's metal af!
Tiny Terrors - Remember the windmill scene from Army of Darkness? Oh yeah!

The stats and background for all of these beasts are solid and entertaining. In addition, the artwork is fantastic. Since this is an OSR monster book, it can pretty much be used for any version of D&D with little work. Personally, I think these monsters would be great additions to Crimson Dragon Slayer.

All of Mark's adventures feature quotes from adventurers. This time, the monsters have a few words. I know this is random, but it's a nice touch.

Okay, now that I've praised the book I do have a few things to say. I am disappointed by how long it took Mark to finish with this one. The Kickstarter delivery date was July of last year and we just got the pdfs, this month. Honestly this is a trend I've seen from his past few kickstarters. At this point I pretty much expect things to take an extra six months to a year. Don't get me wrong, Mark is a great guy. His books are all well-written and entertaining. I know he's busy.  I just think he should maybe push his delivery dates back a bit.

Okay all of that aside, you should still go grab this one. You can get the pdf or pre-order the book here.

While you're at it pick up his other adventures:
Hanging Coffins of the Vampire Queen
Secret Machines of the Star Spawn
Villains of the Undercity
Vault of the Dwarven King

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your awesome review! Yes I agree - I am working on improving delivery dates to be met appropriately in the future with new products being developed! The KS where the games were already finished e.g. the "Double Mayhem" one were shipped ASAP right after the KS ended so those ones I am fast on but the new ones where I have to write and create them from scratch I will improve the speed! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your work is always entertaining. One of these days I'm going to do a full Maximum Mayhem campaign. There's definitely enough there to get it started. Just need to fill in a few gaps.

      Delete