Friday, January 4, 2019

Aquaman (2018)

Synopsis: When his royal half-brother, Orm, decides to war against the surface, Arthur Curry (dubbed the Aquaman by the press) must return to the home he's never been too. Partnering with Princess Mera, he journeys across the seven seas to find the trident of the first king of Atlantis.

The Good: This movie is just plain fun. It's full of great humor, beautiful effects, and some amazing fight scenes. The cast are stellar, even if Mamoa is the "Aquabro," and I loved them all. In particular, I really liked that his dad was played by favorite Kiwi, Temuera Morrison. The movie has a great pace and doesn't drag at all. Orm was a great villain, as was Black Manta (who looked absolutely badass). Finally, I love the concept of the Seven Kingdoms and the Trench were fantastic!

The Bad: I really don't have anything bad to say about this one. While Mamoa doesn't look or act like classic Arthur Curry, I tend to like this version more (and I've dug Aquaman since elementary school).

Final Thoughts: This is definitely the most fun of the current DCEU and I have to admit, I like it even more than Wonder Woman. Also, there's a nod to Lovecraft early on in the film (who when you think about it would have hated the film's diversity). In the Lighthouse, there's a copy of The Dunwich Horror.

In Your Game:

I thought about making a Deep One and Atlantean class for Vigilante City, but after seeing the Seven Kingdoms of Atlantis, I think I might do a whole aquatic sourcebook for it when it releases. I'm not ready for classes yet, so here are some game stats for the Trench.

The Trench
Armor Class: 12              Attack Damage: Claw or Bite 1d6
Hit Dice: 3                        Special: Blood Frenzy, Fear of Light
Move: 12/20 (swim)         Bonus: +3 to Hit, +1 to Damage
Attack: 1 per round          HDE:   3

The smell of blood will cause the Trench to frenzy, giving them advantage on attack rolls, but giving them a -2 AC penalty. Additionally they are afraid of bright light and will flee from it. When in the presence of a bright light source, they suffer disadvantage on all rolls.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I hope you still plan to expand on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of forgot about it, but I definitely would like to. I'll talk to my publishing partner and get to work on it.

      Delete