Thursday, February 7, 2019

Halloween (2007)

I'm still going through my plan of watching and reviewing all of the Halloween flicks, but I'm not necessarily doing them in order. 


Synopsis: Nearly two decades after being committed to a mental institution for the brutal murder of a classmate, his stepfather, and his older sister, Michael Myers escapes and returns to his home to find his baby sister.

The Good: Tyler Mane is an intimidating looking Myers just because of his sheer size. Malcom McDowell plays an interesting version of Dr. Loomis. There are some great folks among the minor characters, including Brad Dourif (Chucky), Danny Trejo, Ken Foree, Bill Mosely, Dee Wallace, Udo Kier, Dee Wallace, and my favorite modern scream queen, Danielle Harris. There are some nice nods to the original film, but Zombie did what Carpenter told him to and made this flick his own.

The Bad: Unfortunately, by making it his own, the movie turned into Halloween soaked in Rob Zombie's special sauce. The film is dirty and grimy and full of foul language (not that language bothers me in general). Also, of being a Rob Zombie movie, Sheri Moon Zombie has an important role.  My other issue with the film is it spends way to much time on Michael's backstory. He's supposed to be the boogeyman, I don't care if he had a horrible home life and snapped. I'm not going to feel sympathy for him.

Final Thoughts: While I said the original was sort of boring, it's definitely better than this. I don't think the movie was awful but it does feel uninspired. Change the names and it feels like another generic Rob Zombie slasher.

In Your Game: Zombie's Myers is more of a monsters and huge, so I upped the physical stats on my original Myers stat block.


Michael Myers (Rob Zombie Remake)
Armor Class: 14
Hit Dice: 10
Move: 12
Actions: 2
Attack Damage: By Weapon, Punch 1d6
Bonuses: +4 to Melee attacks, +5 to Stealth, +4 to Grappling checks, +4 to Toughness
Morale: 10
Terror: 12
HDE 8

No comments:

Post a Comment