Tuesday, October 15, 2019

October Horror Movie Challenge - The Banana Splits Movie (2019)

This one isn't on Tubi. I caught it on SyFy this past Saturday.


Harley is the Banana Splits biggest fan. For his birthday, his family takes him to a taping of his favorite show. Instead of fading into obscurity, the Splits are still going strong in the modern day (and are robots). Unfortunately they start malfunctioning the day their show is canceled and soon Harley and small group of superfans are in for the nightmarish encounter. Tra La La, Tra La La La....

I really enjoyed this movie. There were some satisfying kills (especially the final one), very creepy moments (the Splits being murderous while spouting catchphrases), and I liked the protagonists. There was a twist in the movie I didn't expect, and while it probably won't happen, I like the potential sequel that was set up at the end. Overall, I think it was a solid slasher flick, with an interesting premise.

This movie is an odd one. The Splits were before my time, so my generation doesn't really have a connection to them. Honestly, I think this may have been a way to make a Five Nights At Freddy's Movie before the official one comes out. I also think this is Warner Bros (who own's Hanna Barbara) way of experimenting with Hanna Barbara properties. I mean, this isn't the weirdest thing the Splits have done. Remember, it may have only been for one mission, but the Splits were a part of Task Force X/Suicide Squad.

In Your Game: These stats are pretty similar to the ones found in The Lone Bards release, Galaxy Gopher's Pizzeria. That pwyw pdf gives you a good example of how to use the Splits in a VC game. You could basically use the movie plot if you want to use them in DP&D. Finally, a really creep adventure in SURVIVE THIS!! - Zombies could involve the players coming across the still active Splits following their directive, "the show must go on," by kidnapping survivors in the post apocalyptic wasteland. 


The Banana Splits
Armor Class: 14
Hit Dice: 4
Move: 12
Actions: 1
Attack Damage: By Weapon
Special: Toughness +3, cannot directly harm children
Bonuses: +4 to Melee Attacks, +2 to Damage, +5 to Singing and Dancing rolls
Morale: 10
Terror: 5/10 (robotics revealed)
HDE: 4


New To Me Movies Watched: 8
Total Movies Watched: 16



1 comment:

  1. I heard they made a banana splits movie and I was like WTF? Who would ever, ever, watch that. Then I accidentally caught one of the kills while flipping channels and realized the brilliance of twisting it to horror they make the thing new, hit the nostalgia bit, but don't depend upon it. I may have to see the whole movie after reading your review it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete