Thursday, May 20, 2021

FATE of Superheroes

Next weekend I'm moving back to my home county, which means I'll be two minutes or so away from most of my gaming fam. I'm also going to be renting a nice home that's bigger than anything I've lived in for the past 15 years or so. There's plenty of room for games. 

Recently supers bug has definitely bit me. I realized outside of a Vigilante City con game two years ago, I've not played or ran a supers game in years. My plan is to run alternating Friday and Saturday games. One will be a D&D 5e campaign for sure. I'm thinking I might scratch the supers itch with the other game.

I've been playing around with different systems in my head. Mutants and Masterminds is too crunchy for my taste at the moment. Vigilante City has my heart, but I'm wanting something with more free form supers rules that doesn't rely on traditional class/levels. After searching the web and looking at recommendations I think I'm going to use Fate. I have the Core pdf and their Venture City supers setting pdf. After skimming the rules and watching this video, I think Fate Core might be the perfect system for my current wants. I like the broad, free form, and collaborative storytelling elements of the game.

Venture City is a "superpunk" setting. It give rules for playing supers using Fate. The setting itself reminds me of Marvel 2099: mega corporations, sponsored heroes, and super tech. While that's not the kind of supers game I want to run, the rules can be lifted from the book and I can use them in a setting more my style. 

My plan is to dive more into the core book and Venture setting and get a game together soon. I'll let y'all know how it goes. 

3 comments:

  1. Please do keep us updated on this! Between this and Tim's Amazing Heroes exploits, I'm looking forward to learning more about others' experiences with not-so-crunchy supers gaming...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years ago I ran a short superhero campaign using Fate Accelerated that worked shockingly well. It required a degree of player-GM trust, but relying on Aspects instead of having to define each and every power was remarkably freeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like we've been thinking along similar lines re: supers RPGs. Very interested to see where you take this.

    ReplyDelete