Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Rogues' Redemption: The Idea


It may just get lost in Limbo and added to the pile of unfinished games I want to make, but I had idea that I am going to work on. The working title is Rouges' Redemption. I's a superhero setting where the player's a blue collar and C-List villains, like the Flash's Rogues or the protagonists of Minor Threats, who are fighting back against heroes that are taking things too far. I haven't decided if it will be like the plot of Minor Threats (villains have to stop the heroes before they cross a line they can't come back from) or Injustice (heroes are forming a fascist regime). There's also a third option, that like in the Boys, the heroes of the City are secretly corrupt.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards the Minor Threats-esque so that it doesn't get super dark. I know superhero deconstruction is overdone, but I like the idea of a story of villains redeeming themselves through their actions. While the plot will be different, I'll most likely take inspiration from some of the themes from Pinnacle's Necessary Evil.

There are some tropes I don't want to use. For example, evil Superman has been done to death. I was thinking about not including one, though my dude, Wirty, gave me the idea of having a still good Superman character that is aiding the players in their mission to bring down or redeem the falling/fallen heroes. This lets there be a Superman, but also doesn't tarnish what that means.

I already have so much 5e supers content made (and love it as a system) that I might just use that. It wouldn't be hard to use the villains and heroes I've created for the New Punverse to flesh out the setting. I think I'll present premade archetypes (in the vein of Carbide City #1 and #2) and also discuss how to use the standard rules to create a character of the appropriate power level. I do plan on including rules for how characters can advance, but not in the standard way (because in general, other than for specific story purposes, characters in comics tend to stay at the same power level for years).

Of course combat will be an important part of the game, but I also want to focus on other parts of comic books like saving bystanders and such. Also I love the interactions characters have outside of epic fights so there will definitely be roleplay encounters. The idea of what it means to be a hero will also be explored.  

Honestly I already have quite a bit of art for this project and a couple of hundred dollars worth of credit to get more superhero stock art.

This idea was inspired by desire to publish supers content. It was also inspired by my discovery of a game with a cool premise, published by a morally shitty company (The Red Room).  If you are wondering why I call them that, they have created gross misogynistic content and their Twitter feed is full of anti-trans rhetoric.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, leave them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment