Friday, May 17, 2024

Outstanding Oddibeasts, Toxic Protectors, and 5e Mousers (Oh My!)

I have picked my new laptop up. I've started work on the TMNT tribute game I mentioned previously. I'm going to be using the X-1 system created by Andy Hand of Limitless Adventures and Cheatin' Fair Games for his Rat Catchers and Pixie Punks games. It's a simple to learn and fun rules-lite system and i think it will be perfect for the game. So what am I calling it? The name is not set in stone, but I'm really considering Outstanding Oddibeasts. The Mighty Mutanimals are a team that's been allied to the turtles in various versions of the group. Mutanimals is a portmanteau of Mutant Animals. Outstanding Oddibeasts (Oddibeast being a portmanteau of Oddity and Beasts) is the best sounding homage I've come up with so far. It's not perfect, but I'm going to be real, I dig it.

It will take a bit to finish, so in the mean time I've am also going to do something I haven't done in years. I've started working on a PWYW class for Vigilante City. While there are already rules to play ninjas, street tough vigilantes, and mutant animals, I thought it would be fun to make a class based on Toxie. The Toxic Protector will allow you to create a character based on the Toxic Crusaders version of Toxie (though it will have some elements of the original film version too). If I can figure out how to do the layout, the class will hopefully be released next week. 

I wanted this post to having something folks could use too, so I'm finishing with 5e stats to the iconic TMNT army fodder, Mousers.

Mousers are iconic robo-fodder in TMNT. They've existed in almost all version so of the franchise (except the movies, which is odd). They are small robots, about 2.5 feet tall, created by Baxter Stockman to eliminate NYC's rat problem (at least in the 1987 cartoon). However, the automatons were used by Shredder to hunt the Hamato Clan (specifically Splinter). The original comic versions were created to get rid of the rat problem, but also used by their creator to steal valuables. They also associated with one of my fondest memories. When I was a kid I talked my uncle Carlos into taking me to the Ashland Mall to see the Ninja Turtles. He agreed to and afterword we went to Hills Department Store. He let me get a toy and I was able to pick up my first TMNT action figure. It was slim pickings. All they had were Wacky Action Mousers and Rocksteady. I went with the latter (which I still have), but fondly think of the mouser figure from time to time (even though I never picked one up).

Mouser

Small Construct, Unaligned

Armor Class: 12 (metal chassis)
Hit Points: 7 (2d6)
Speed: 25 ft.
Challenge: 1/8 (25 XP)

Str 10 (+0) Dex 10 (+0) Con 10 (+0) Int 4 (-3) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 3 (-4)

Damage Immunities: poison, psychic
Damage Resistance: acid, lightning, fire, cold, necrotic, radiant
Condition Immunities: blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages: --

Unique Features
Rat Sense: The mouser is always aware of all rodents (mutant or otherwise) within 30 feet of it. This sense can penetrate most walls and objects, although certain materials such as lead can block it.

Actions
Bite: Melee Weapon Attack. +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) piercing damage, and the mouser attaches to the target. While attached, the mouser doesn't attack. Instead at the start of each of the mouser's turns, the target loses 1 point of piecing damage. While attached, the target has disadvantage on all skill and attack rolls.

The mouser can detach itself by spending 5 feet of it's movement. A creature, including the target, can use its action to make a Strength (Athletics) roll (DC 12) to detach the mouser.

1 comment:

  1. Outstanding Oddibeasts is great! I also make no trademark claim to Age-specific Anthropomorphic Action Animals, should that be a name you like for any part of your game. (I'm not saying you SHOULD like it, just that I do, and I hope it gets used for the powers of good someday, but who knows if I'll ever actually get around to it...)

    Looking forward to following this process and progress!

    ReplyDelete