Thursday, February 6, 2014

D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop - Day 6

First Character Death? How Did You Handle It?
"Nameless" the minotaur fighter was a brave and mighty gladiator.

No he wasn't. He was technically my first character and he bit it. Actually he bit it three times in the first session. Now the DM was bad at his job (and honestly a bad person in general). There was no real set up. Chad and I were just playing minotaur gladiators (yeah I don't know why either). We were facing human gladiators and a lion. Within two rounds of combat (which were probably the first two rounds of the session), my character was down. Somehow he came back a few times, but it didn't matter, he was dead Jim.

I could have easly let it sour me from the game, but I didn't, Honestly, I just brushed the whole incident aside.

I will admit though that I have a different reaction to death than many "old school" gamers. I accept death as a part of the game. Actually the fear of death is desired. Why adventure if you might not make it back? That being said I want my character to be Conan, not zamoran pirate #3. I want the narrative to go on. There are other ways to characters can pay for the price of failure. I think this is a discussion for another time though.

No comments:

Post a Comment